Microsoft Exchange General Considerations
Rather than managing Microsoft Exchange files such as storage groups and databases as generic data files, LiveVault has the ability to recognize Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, 2007, and 2010, and manage the data as such.
You can create an Exchange Backup Policy with the following considerations:
- If you are backing up an Exchange CCR or DAG configuration, please contact us for more information
- The LiveVault software does not support multiple Exchange policies for servers running multiple Exchange 2003 and 2007 servers (including virtual servers). You can create multiple policies for Exchange 2010.
- You can create an Exchange Policy on Active/Passive shared-disk Exchange clusters, but not Active/Active shared-disk Exchange clusters.
- Circular logging in Exchange must be turned Off when using the LiveVault software's Exchange backup and restore feature. After a successful backup, the LiveVault service indicates the completion status to the Exchange VSS writer. This initiates the truncation and purge of the Exchange transaction logs.
- On an Exchange DAG configuration, the truncation of logs may be delayed until they are replicated to all nodes of the DAG.
- When creating policies, confirm the clock time and time zone designation on the Agent machine. If the time or time zone is incorrect, in rare case it can cause restorations from the initial backup to fail.